How do you write Command lines in Cloud Hosting?

Hi,

I noticed some people even know those commands offhand. It is like magic. That’s why I don’t like unmanaged cloud servers/VPS. I was wondering where they get the command codes.

Can someone elaborate more on this?

What are the basic things I need to learn to manage my cloud servers efficient. I mean managing as a pro?

First off, most of the commands are Operating System specific.
Like I use Ubuntu/CentOS/ArchLinux etc. On the daily and know how to carry out the following without any issues:

Taking for example Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as an example.

General Maintenance:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt dist-upgrade

sudo apt autoclean

sudo apt autoremove

Install/Uninstall a Package:

sudo apt install {package_name}

sudo apt uninstall {package_name}

//To Completely Purge

sudo apt purge {package*}

To Edit a file in terminal

sudo nano {file_name}

To Save Ctrl + O to Exit Ctrl + X

To Navigate to another directory:

//If directory is relative to current directory

cd {directory_name}

//If directory is absolute

cd /path/to/directory

I know these any more commnads because I use Linux daily and as I’ve said many times, Practice makes us Perfect.

For efficient management of cloud servers You have to also understand how to diagnose. The first step to diagnose is to understand the problem.

For that, You need the logs:

Logs are usually stored in the /var/logdirectory.

For taking a Quick glance at the last few lines of logs, we use a command called tail

E.g.

tail /var/log/nginx/access.log

Once You adapt to the commands, You’d realize how easy & fun it is to manage a server on your own.

Just give it some time. Commit Yourself to linux and You’ll fall in love with it.

So you mean if I am using Linux OS, then setting up cloud servers won’t be an issue?

I mean, it is just like Linux OS? After I have learnt Linux then I can operate cloud servers?

Almost a Yes but you have to be slightly more than a Linux user.

You have to be a linux sysadmin which isn’t very different. It’s just that You know the basics and can google better than others :wink:

I run a cluster of 12 servers which run over 20 different vm. Plus, I set up this forum (and it’s underlying server) on my own. I didn’t come from Jupiter or went to an expensive classroom course for this but I can proudly say that I’m able to do this because I was exposed to linux since I was 14 (about 10 Years ago).

To see all of the files in a directory:

//If it's the current directory

ls

//If it's a different directory

ls /path/to/directory

//To show hidden files as well

ls -a /path/to/directory